Beauty in the Ordinary

This is not about being brilliant, or extraordinary, it's not about wanting to be famous, or making headlines, or trying to impress...this about sharing a 'gift' each day with the world...to lift the spirit of people when they read this blog, to show them the beauty in the ordinary.
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." Raold Dahl

Thursday, March 25, 2010




So here is one of my favourite authors and the book that brought him to me.
'After Rain' by William Trevor.




What is it about the Irish? Is it just the gift of being Irish that enables Trevor to write the way he does?
This collection of short stories fell into my heart the way looking at an Irish landscape does...his words falling softy into me as gently as drops of Irish rain on a green pasture, yet the effects are heart wrenching. He knows how to write about the depths of a human heart.
There is beauty in suffering, suffering has meaning, and this is what I believe Trevor knows and writes about.

William Trevor on writing...
"To me writing is entirely mysterious. If I didn't believe it was a mystery, the whole thing wouldn't be worthwhile.
I don't know not just how something is going to end, but what the next couple of lines are going to be".


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on...make my day...

Related Posts with Thumbnails