Beauty in the Ordinary

This is not about being brilliant, or extraordinary, it's not about wanting to be famous, or making headlines, or trying to impress...this about sharing a 'gift' each day with the world...to lift the spirit of people when they read this blog, to show them the beauty in the ordinary.
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." Raold Dahl

Saturday, May 8, 2010

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY MUM

J.  I've been rummaging through 'mum's box', a treasure chest of memories...here are a few I would like to share:

The abstract and promise of the heart:  Nana found her home in that idea.  She never resided on the rose-studded avenue, or high above city-stained concrete, or even in-between four walls built by a child's laugh and neighbours' calls.  Home was found in that corner of your heart, in that spot only she could cuddle herself into.  This was her permanent address.  Jessica

"Wherever a beautiful soul has been, there is a trail of beautiful memories"  Frieda and Finn

Young at heart in my 85th year, I contemplate the passing of a dear lady friend who attended a wake I held for myself a year or so ago.  Her attendance was the finest compliment I received that day and one I shall never forget.
My friend, Yvonne Moore, had many admirable qualities and to my knowledge nothing but.  I had never met anyone as focused as Yvonne in all my years and Oh...her sage advice on some sticky family issues! She smoothed the problems I told her about before they became big issues.
Fiercely independent about so many things, like allowing me to shop for her or take her out for a meal.  It took me so long to accept this independence for what it was ~ mainly her wish to be her own person.  I can hear her respond now with "ABSOLUTELY!".  Richard, her friend of ten years

V. and I chose Emerson's Earth Laughs in Flowers to mark where Mum's ashes were spread.  Here is Jane's understanding of that quote:
A lovely poem "Earth laughs in flowers" expresses an idea of beauty and also an idea of the absurdity of ownership claims.  We are here so briefly.  I think it works, as an acknowledgement of our brevity and of the beauty of earth's abundance.

I love you for giving me life and for loving me all of your life.
I love you for the Christmases and Birthdays and for making a home, even in the bad times.
I love you for loving my husband and my children and for being the best Nana ever.
I love you for the goofy animal lamps, the beautiful hand-knitted outfits and the chocolate-covered strawberries.
I love you for coming to us wherever we were in the world, and for appearing not to mind when I didn't come to you.
I love you for your sense of humour, all the funny old sayings and the lessons of independence.
I promise I will remember you always.  Jacqueline

Yvonne left more than memories in her legacy.  She provided an amazing role model for us.  Yvonne was there for Christmases, birthdays, communions, confirmations and graduations.  She was a strong grandmother figure to our girls and a welcomed addition to all gatherings.
Yvonne epitomized the best about England to me.  Like the country of her birth, she was an island.  She was strong, independent and self-contained and like England had survived wars and floods, both literal and personal.  I am astounded now as I realize just how young she was when your father died and that she faced the task of making a living and raising her young family alone.  She triumphed in her battles and came out stronger.  She had the determination of Winston Churchill and the gentleness and welcoming nature of a beautiful English garden.
Yvonne was dignified and wise.  She was a classy woman and knew how to celebrate in style.  Victoria and Cos' wedding was the poshest affair I have ever attended.  It was there I saw my first Daimler, ate prawns and sipped champagne.  The afternoon reception at The Rose & Crown in Salisbury could have been from a fairy-tale.
When Jackie & Rudy married here in Canada, Yvonne, once again celebrated another wedding in a beautiful English garden setting.  Yvonne set the standard for me and was my role-model when it was my turn to be Mother-of-the-Bride.  Like your Mum, I told my daughter the day of her wedding that she didn't have to go through with the ceremony if she didn't feel 100% confident that she was doing the right thing!
Yvonne had a fabulous sense of style, she always kept a trim figure and looked well put together.  In spite of her illness and advancing age, Yvonne never looked or acted like and old person.  She always had a youthful spirit.  I feel privileged to have know your mother.  Adrianna

"You never know what you've got til it's gone".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on...make my day...

Related Posts with Thumbnails