Beauty in the Ordinary

This is not about being brilliant, or extraordinary, it's not about wanting to be famous, or making headlines, or trying to impress...this about sharing a 'gift' each day with the world...to lift the spirit of people when they read this blog, to show them the beauty in the ordinary.
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." Raold Dahl

Friday, March 11, 2011

If...

If I baked bread to sell,
I would lovingly wrap each loaf
in a white linen bag...




If I baked cupcakes to sell,
I would package them in long-stem rose boxes
tied with a golden ribbon.







If I baked petit-fours to sell,


I would layer them in a 
Tiffany-style box, secured with a rich
white ribbon.





Life is only partly about the what...
 sometimes it is about how the what is packaged.

I think about this as my darling Japan is being
battered and bruised by Mother Nature.

No one understands the beauty of the package
better than the Japanese.


the art of furoshiki...


I'm holding my breath as the news rolls in on the waves of the tsunami.


15 comments:

  1. I only just understood your comment on my wrapping post. I didn;t know there was a name for it. I am one of those who love the package...I should be a test person for marketing people.

    Petit Fours are simply the loveliest things. I always think restaurants should have them on the menu. Wouldn;t it be great to have a little plate brought out after dinner.

    Poor, poor Japan. It is awful. I have read that because of their strict building codes many buildings survived. It is really so frightening. In my prayers for sure tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart and prayers with Japan,we too have a link although the family is long now living in Australia they still have relatives over there..may Gods blessings be abundant on those who have been taken...the world is so topsy turvy,just looking at your lovely pics brings a sense of loveliness..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just turned the news back on after many hours of not watching...and see even more devastation. Such despair..

    z

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very powerful post. My thoughts and prayers are across the miles and ocean to that country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was lovely. I have been working today and have so far avoided turning on the tv after being transfixed last night. It is truly devastating, but thank you for reminding us of so much that is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Japanese packaging, fashion, garden design, architecture, etc, are all surpisingly radical compared to most of the world. I feel so sorry for those who have lost not only family members, but also everything they owned. A real tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was such a lovely post again J. Everything packaged up with love. Poor Japan - all our hearts go out to everyone there and also their families who may be separated from them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While we lived in Tokyo for three years my kids made lifelong friends. One young girl, Emi, can't find her dad right now...he was working just outside of Sendai...think the good thoughts people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post J., hopefully we can all wrap the island of Japan in a warm blanket of love and support...such tragedy for so many people, I pray for them that during this time they find the courage and bravery needed to come together and help each other, xoxo to the beautiful people of Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A teaching couple who left Kuwait this past school year to take on a position in Japan, have sent word that they are okay. Carrie described the swaying of their apartment building as being on a ski slope with high winds. The Japanese are prepared for earthquakes, but no one can prepare for a tsunami. So heartbreaking! Have a beautiful day. :) Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful and thoughtful post...the Japanese people have such an instict and care for the exterior adornment of many things which add an extra layer of care to whatever it is they are adorning, whether it be food or themselves, or the land. My heart is breaking for them... prayers are being lifted up.
    xo J~

    ReplyDelete
  12. the beauty of your posts, the breath taking photos, it is such a wonderful escape!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a visually elegant blog........a bit of sunshine on a very gray, snowy day where i am.....;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful tribute. This tugged at my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully said Jacqueline...a very thoughtful tribute.

    Jeanne xx

    ReplyDelete

Go on...make my day...

Related Posts with Thumbnails