I have been struggling recently with my skin. Not one to have suffered in my teen years with outbreaks, I'm finding that Mother Nature is catching up with me in my Golden Years.
I've tried a lot of topical applications and really thought I was using too-heavy a cream. I do not have dry skin, and most formulae are composed for those who do.
However, when my daughter came to visit this past weekend, she mentioned that she had been taking Pantothenic Acid for her skin and was more than delighted with the results.
Pantothenic Acid - aka B5
(this happens to be the brand I am using - 1000mg + time release)
According to Wikipedia:
Pantothenic acid, also called pantothenate or vitamin B5 is a water-soluble vitamin discovered by Roger J. Williams in 1919. For many animals, pantothenic acid is an essential nutrient. Animals require pantothenic acid to synthesize coenzyme-A (CoA), as well as to synthesize and metabolize proteins, carbohydrates, and fats.
Pantothenic acid derives from the Greek pantothen(πάντοθεν) meaning "from everywhere" and small quantities of pantothenic acid are found in nearly every food.The major food source of pantothenic acid is in meats. Whole grains are another good source of the vitamin, but milling often removes much of the pantothenic acid, as it is found in the outer layers of whole grains. Vegetables, such as broccoli and avocados, also have an abundance of the acid.
There are also no adverse reactions known following parenteral or topical application of the vitamin.]
Toxicity of pantothenic acid is unlikely. In fact, no Tolerable Upper Level Intake (UL) has been established for the vitamin. Large doses, when ingested, have no reported side effects and massive doses (e.g., 10 g/day) may only yield mild intestinal distress, and diarrhea at worst. It has been suggested, however, that high doses of pantothenic acid might worsen panic attacks in those with panic disorder by prolonging the duration until adrenal exhaustion.
She left me a bottle of the tablets (horse-pills!) and recommended I take 5 per day (5000 mg) for five days.
I am astonished.
In just three days I can see a marked improvement.
Now the tricky part comes in finding the correct dosage, so after five days, I will reduce by one pill per day until things start going south and then bring it back up again.
I am amazed that use of this supplement is not more widespread as a first-line treatment for acne. It's cheap, easy to take, non-toxic, and in my, Lindsay and some of her friends opinion, very effective.
Just thought I would share...