Beauty in the Ordinary

This is not about being brilliant, or extraordinary, it's not about wanting to be famous, or making headlines, or trying to impress...this about sharing a 'gift' each day with the world...to lift the spirit of people when they read this blog, to show them the beauty in the ordinary.
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." Raold Dahl

Monday, April 26, 2010

J.  I am so lucky...no matter what I put on the table, be it Kraft dinner (with ground beef,  yes he loves it), or an asparagus and pancetta risotto that I have poured over for thirty minutes, my husband loves what I put before him.  Now, to be completely honest, dinner is an event for us...always with linens and a glass of wine on good china....never in front of the TV (unless it's pizza and American Idol...but that's a whole other post), this is when we come together at the end of the day to discuss, well...whatever...but he is always, always, always appreciative.
Tonight was sauteed rainbow trout with a tomato, onion and avocado salad and oven fries (we are trying to keep him away from gluten).  Delicious, even if I do say so myself. I pined for the baguette to mop up the dressing from the salad, however...all good!
I am reading Julia Child's, My Life In France, right now and the thing I love the most about the book is her relationship with her husband, Paul (yes I feel that intimately connected to them I can call him Paul).  They were true lovers...of each other and food.  And so...to my amazing husband,  thank you for enjoying and appreciating and participating!

Just a quick aside, when Julia Child died, my daughter Jessica was a sous-chef in a vibrant downtown Toronto restaurant.  It was a crazy, hectic, fast-paced evening when someone came into the kitchen, in the middle of service, and made the announcement that the Queen of Cuisine had left this earth.
Jessica tells me that the kitchen fell into a warm, melancholic silence and tears were seen welling in the strangest of eyes.  This was a woman that left her pan-seared mark on our world.  Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. This is why I'm so ready for a relationship now...to have that special someone who will cook for me!.
    ...if he's good looking too, that will the icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete

Go on...make my day...

Related Posts with Thumbnails