Beauty in the Ordinary

This is not about being brilliant, or extraordinary, it's not about wanting to be famous, or making headlines, or trying to impress...this about sharing a 'gift' each day with the world...to lift the spirit of people when they read this blog, to show them the beauty in the ordinary.
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." Raold Dahl

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

J.  Yes V.  Happy June it is!  Your  photographs are stunning.  Well done you!

I sit at the computer on my kitchen bar, and next to me hangs the framed mantra

"All I Need is
 All I Have
 and All I Have
 is All I Need"

This is so true.  Every time I think of buying something for myself or for my house, I ask myself what I would give up to bring this new purchase into my life.  And I realize that there I nothing that I already have that I am prepared to part with to make room for this new 'thing' and thus how can I possibly need it.  That way I can look around my wardrobe, around my home and appreciate what is already there.

With great affection the other day, I took an old cut lace tablecloth that my mother-in-law handed down to me when Rudy and I were first married, and put it on my garden table.  Sure, the white of it has a slight yellowishness and the embroidery is fraying in places, but the cotton is soft to the touch and it embraces the table rather than lying there stiffly. The soft afternoon light and gentle lake-breezes freckle the cloth and pine-needles and sycamore serve as decorations.  This simple fabric carries with it memories of the early days of our marriage, when it was the only tablecloth we owned.  I like this piece of aged cloth.

1 comment:

  1. I love the description of that aged cloth, I can feel the memories it holds.

    ReplyDelete

Go on...make my day...

Related Posts with Thumbnails