Beauty in the Ordinary

This is not about being brilliant, or extraordinary, it's not about wanting to be famous, or making headlines, or trying to impress...this about sharing a 'gift' each day with the world...to lift the spirit of people when they read this blog, to show them the beauty in the ordinary.
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." Raold Dahl

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Elsie


Today I met Elsie.

We met over the garden fence.
Me tending the garden.
She on her daily walk about.

She stopped to greet Molly.
'Such a lovely dog, she is' said Elsie.

She told me that she was as old as the trees.
"These trees here on this street, you know,
these trees and I have grown old together" she said.

The fingers on here hands were blue.
I wanted to hold them and warm them.
But the pearl buttons on her sweater
and the gold leaf shaped earrings
she wore,
said it didn't matter,
she wasn't complaining.

'Those are Comfrey plants you have there dear.
Dig up the roots my love, make a poultice from the leaves,
those are healing plants you have my dear,
they're so special."

We spoke of days gone by.
About a book she was reading on the second world war.
How she missed having a dog now that she lived in
an apartment that doesn't permit them.
And of how television and computers and cars
have made us all
lonely
and
isolated.

Today I met Elsie.
I wanted to hold her blue hands
and warm them.

But instead, this woman as old as the trees
took my heart in her blue hands
and warmed it.

Thank you Elsie.

Victoria

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful...she will warm many hearts now. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. and now...I want to meet Elsie too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful Victoria, I imagine you will remember those few minutes you share with Elsie for many years to come.

    PS..just realised I do not have your shipping details for the apron.
    My email:
    henrqs@yahoo.com

    Thx...


    Jeanne :)

    ReplyDelete

Go on...make my day...

Related Posts with Thumbnails