Beauty in the Ordinary

This is not about being brilliant, or extraordinary, it's not about wanting to be famous, or making headlines, or trying to impress...this about sharing a 'gift' each day with the world...to lift the spirit of people when they read this blog, to show them the beauty in the ordinary.
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." Raold Dahl

Saturday, November 27, 2010



I received this from a friend to day
"This was on the front page of the San Francisco Chronicle,
it is a true story about a female humpback whale who had
become entangled in a spider web of crab traps and lines. She was
weighted down by hundreds of pounds of traps that caused her to
struggle to stay afloat. She also had hundreds of yards of line rope
wrapped around her body, her tail, her torso, a line tugging in her
mouth. A fisherman spotted her just east of the Farallon Islands
(outside the Golden Gate) and radioed an environmental group for
help. Within a few hours, the rescue team arrived and determined
that she was so bad off, the only way to save her was to dive in and
untangle her. They worked for hours with curved knives and
eventually freed her. When she was free, the divers say she swam in
what seemed like joyous circles. She then came back to each and
every diver, one at a time, and nudged them, pushed them gently
around as she was thanking them. Some said it was the most
incredibly beautiful experience of their lives. The guy who cut the
rope out of her mouth said her eyes were following him the whole
time, and he will never be the same.

May you, and all those you
love, be so blessed and fortunate to be surrounded by people who
will help you get untangled from the things that are binding you.
And, may you always know the joy of giving and receiving gratitude.
I pass this on to you, my friends, in the same spirit."



8 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful...I can't stop crying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read the first part of your blog V, I was horrified at the thought of the whale being tangled and cut by all those crab lines and the pain she must have suffered. And then I read on about the people that cared, setting her free and her grateful thanks to each one. The way I see it -there are only two types of person in this world. Those who care and those who don't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! This brought happy tears to my eyes! I so adore stories like this. Thank you for sharing it. What a phenomenal tale, (and phenomenal whale!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nature never fails to make me tear up. What a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing, it's so great to hear a happy ending too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, what a wonderful story!I was able to see these gentle big animals in Hawaii a long time ago... but I´ll never forget how beautiful they were...we have to save the beauty of nature, especially animals, otherwise we loose so much.
    Thanks for sharing this happy ending...I am so glad!
    Best wishes to you and greetings from germany, Beate :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you were hearing that whale's song J.
    Sad but true Molly!
    Glad you liked the story everyone and I too am happy it ended well, I also think that it really did change the lives of the rescuers, would be wonderful to know their story.
    Thanks for travelling so far Beate, it's actually Sunday right now and I'm still in bed writing this to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a thrilling story. I'm amazed that the whale actually lived, weighted down with all that stuff. And I'm sure the rescuers lives were touched.

    Even the ol' Bear is getting a bit teary-eyed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic thing, to save such a beautiful creature and to receive its thanks. Thank you for sharing this special story.

    ReplyDelete

Go on...make my day...

Related Posts with Thumbnails