Beauty in the Ordinary

This is not about being brilliant, or extraordinary, it's not about wanting to be famous, or making headlines, or trying to impress...this about sharing a 'gift' each day with the world...to lift the spirit of people when they read this blog, to show them the beauty in the ordinary.
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." Raold Dahl

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Chairs

I have a thing for chairs...


Model B3 Chair also know as Wassily Chair by Marcel Breuer

Most people think this chair was designed for the artist Wassily Kandinski, but it wasn't.  Kandinski who, like Breuer was on the Bauhaus faculty, had admired the chair, so Breuer had a copy made for Kandinski's private quarters.  I love this in white.



Egg Chair, by Arne Jacobsen

The Egg Chair was first designed as a couch, but because of the size it could not be covered by two cow-hides.  This meant there had to be a line of stitching right down the middle which was not whas the designer envisioned.  So the Egg Chair came to be.  I don't think he was ever truly satisfied with the design and so it was withdrawn from production.  I'm not sure I would have this in my home, but I do like it.

 LC2 Petite Modele Armchair designed by Charles-Édouard Jeanneret  

Jeanneret (aka Le Corbusier) said "Chairs are architecture, sofas are bourgeois."
These are a constant love of mine.

I know knock-offs are very fashionable right now...
but isn't imitation the highest form of flattery


Here is my current obsession...
actually, I have been looking at these chairs for about five years now, but I am a patient soul...


Mademoiselle chair designed for Kartell by Phillip Stark with fabric by Dolce and Gabanna

It also comes in...


these chinoiserie fabrics





and these Missoni fabrics.  I love the lucite legs.
I would love to have them as my dining room chairs.
The backs are the perfect height to disappear at table level.

Perhaps if I tell Father Christmas I have been a really, really good girl this year?
No...at almost $1,000 each...not this year.


17 comments:

  1. Jacqueline, Please help - I recently made the chicken dish you posted with prunes and olives. I thought I had copied it but have been unable to find it and have had a quick look through your site to no avail. Will have to do something else with the chicken tonight but would appreciate it if you are able to lead me to the recipe. Thanks Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good taste,love the chairs although I am an old fashioned girl with my taste I just loved looking at these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Carole. I much prefer the antique to the modern. However, when it comes to dining chairs, the modern is probably much more comfortable that the antique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't have time to comment previously but I am with the others - much prefer the old and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting collection of chairs. None of which looks the least bit comfortable. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan...posted the recipe in your comments section. Hope it arrived in time.

    Variety is the spice of life everyone...I love antique chairs too...however the majority of the time they were not designed for sitting on! The 'modern' era ushered in a form + function way of thinking...all the chairs above are remarkably comfortable. However...to each his own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can find the recipe here too Susan:
    http://jaxxvixx.blogspot.com/2011/10/day-to-cook.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know that photo #3 is comfortable because I have enjoyed being seated in it many times at your place J., but like all the rest I'm one for chairs with big puffy cushions filled with down that I can curl up in...even around the dining table!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...chairs with big puffy cushion filled with down that you can curl up in around the dining table...sounds positively bacchanalian V.!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I like the egg chair the best - the sort of chair to just relax and get poached in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahahaha...you are too funny Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jacqueline: thank you for the recipe - I basted the chicken last night with Teriyaki sauce but now have your recipe for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just love the little stars you have coming down - you are obviously much more computer savy than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Susan...I'm sure your chicken will be delish...but do try the marbella...it's a hostess' gift...as far as the falling stars are concerned, it's all hunt and peck. Like I said to Olive go to http://hapiblogging.blogspot.com/2009/06/add-falling-glitters-to-your-mouse.html
    if you need help sorting it out...give me a shout!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yes there are some great classics there. I always on the hunt for 'statement' chairs.
    x
    Melissah from Scrapbook

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jacqueline - I know how delicious your chicken is as I made it when you posted before (with a few adjustments for ingredients I didn't have to hand - just hadn't gone far enough back in October to locate it, have it securely bookmarked now. Thanks (word verification - disch

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your list is perfection, I want every single item you covet for, especially the floral print chaires, they would all be an amazing addition to any home. Your blog is lovely and I'm a new follower! Hope you'll like my blog and follow back!

    Pop Culture&Fashion Magic

    ReplyDelete

Go on...make my day...

Related Posts with Thumbnails