Beauty in the Ordinary

This is not about being brilliant, or extraordinary, it's not about wanting to be famous, or making headlines, or trying to impress...this about sharing a 'gift' each day with the world...to lift the spirit of people when they read this blog, to show them the beauty in the ordinary.
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." Raold Dahl

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Morning Silence

In this most busy time of the year
there is nothing more special, more important to me,
than the dark silence of early morning.



I sneak downstairs, gently squeezing light switches on, dimmers on low so not to wake others in the house and prepare a cup of espresso splashed with steamed milk.



I sip silently next to the Christmas tree,
just letting the essence of the season settle into my heart.
Trying too hard just seems pointless and unproductive.



This particular gentle morning
it's just me, Miss Daisy snoring at my feet and Hank pleading with me with her big green eyes to turn on the tap--just one more time!--so that she can play with the dripping water.



Today will be the last of the prepping for the weekend...perhaps a pate and some gourgéres for the freezer?

One more present to wrap,
finishing touches to the Christmas lunch shopping list,
Iron the napkins
and then a long walk with Miss Daisy on The Common.




to be with you."


I wish you all a Gentle Christmas.

13 comments:

  1. Thank you Jaqueline. Have a wonderful Christmas and all the best to your family.

    Chania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazingly, even I'm beginning to feel Christmassy. I suspect it'll be a good one all round. Bisou, Cro xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you a gentle Christmas in return ....

    Joyeux Noël

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a soothing blog,thank you for the little bit of peace you bring my day as I (try) to have some quiet moments before the house awakens.Have a blessed Christmas..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was lovely, J! I try to carve out that early morning quiet time too. Warmest wishes to you and yours ~ all of them!

    xo's from all of us

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely post. I awoke at 5 a.m. and phoned a friend in the U.K. as it was her birthday - then lay down for a few minutes only to awaken at 8 a.m. Still it was good to get the extra rest as hubby is home tomorrow.

    Have a wonderful Christmas with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone....take the time in the early hours. I know for some it's hard to drag yourself from that warm snuggly bed, but it's so worth watching the world wake up.
    Chania to you and yours a very Happy, happy Christmas
    Cro...Bisou right back at you...and to Lady Cro and Monty
    Helen...Joyeux Noel et Bon Année!
    OGM all wonders of the season to your artistic heart. Have fun with your kids!
    ABL - peace and joy!
    SH...a blessing on your house. May you find strength and serenity over this most wonderfulholiday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear J - Have a gentle wonderful Christmas too. Love Molly xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Molly...hope all goes well...Happy Christmas and all best wishes for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jac and vic
    Nadolig Llawen my old friends
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. and Happy Christmas to you John the dogs! (I'm sure that's what you said!) .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can feel my pulse merrily slowing down after reading your gentle thoughts Jacqueline...thank you.
    Seeing Miss. Daisy & Hank together is so sweet. My Sierra was a faucet kitty too...he was always waiting for me to turn it on. I finally got him one of those fountain drinking bowls...he was in heaven!
    Wishing you a lovely Christmas, and very special time with your family...
    xo J~

    ReplyDelete

Go on...make my day...

Related Posts with Thumbnails