Beauty in the Ordinary

This is not about being brilliant, or extraordinary, it's not about wanting to be famous, or making headlines, or trying to impress...this about sharing a 'gift' each day with the world...to lift the spirit of people when they read this blog, to show them the beauty in the ordinary.
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." Raold Dahl

Monday, May 10, 2010


V. I thought I would start this conversation with one of my most treasured books...
'Women in Love' by D. H. Lawrence.
I have loved this book since first reading it many, many years ago.
And here we are two sisters talking about books so it is no coincidence I that I pick a story about two sisters...Ursula and Gudrun.
Ursula is a teacher, Gudrun an artist...they live in the midlands of England in the 1910's.
They meet two men Rupert Birkin a school inspector and Gerald Crich a coal-mine heir.
The four become friends.
Lawrence takes us on a brilliant journey as they question the society they live in, politics and the relationship between women and men.
Although it is written during World War I it is never mentioned in the book, but is felt throughout with a sense of something stirring in the background of their lives.
E.M. Forster claimed that Lawrence... 'was the greatest imaginative novelist of our generation'.
And I agree with others when they say this does little justice to his writing more than too much.
Jake Zeitlin, an LA bookseller, who took care of Lawrence's estate, captures perfectly my feelings when reading Women in Love.
"That night when I first opened the trunk containing the manuscripts of Lawrence and a I looked through them, watched unfold the immense pattern of his vision, and the tremendous product of his energy, there stirred in me an emotion similar to that I felt when first viewing the heavens with a telescope."




No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on...make my day...

Related Posts with Thumbnails