Beauty in the Ordinary

This is not about being brilliant, or extraordinary, it's not about wanting to be famous, or making headlines, or trying to impress...this about sharing a 'gift' each day with the world...to lift the spirit of people when they read this blog, to show them the beauty in the ordinary.
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." Raold Dahl

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Silky Cauliflower Soup


I know I've posted this soup before, 
but this time I'm including the recipe:


Silky Cauliflower Soup:
1 head cauliflower
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 quart low-sodium chicken stock
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Remove the leaves and thick core from the cauliflower, coarsely chop, and reserve. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat and add the onion and garlic. Cook until softened, but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the cauliflower is very soft and falling apart, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and, using a hand held immersion blender, puree the soup, or puree in small batches in a blender and return it to the pot. Add the Parmesan and stir until smooth. Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper. Keep warm until ready to serve.
p.s.  I always add a generous pinch of nutmeg when I add the broth.

I'll add some kind of protein and a warm
crusty baguette and this will be dinner tonight.

We are still in the grips of winter here with
snow on the ground and temperatures below freezing.

So this is comfort food
for body and soul.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the recipe Jacqueline. Tonight I'm making Sweet Potato-Apple-Leek soup, and it's the one that I think would go very well with your favorite sandwich, the one with the sprouts, apple and peanutbutter, don't you think? This cauliflower soup will be next and I'm sending the recipe to my mom because she lives for cauliflower!
    Wishing you a very, very good day today...
    xo J~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the soup and sandwich would be an excellent combination. Hope your Mum likes the soup...the secret is the parmesan, it really does make it silky! Happy Day to you Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. are things a bit better for you j???
    hope so
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds delicious J. especially with the lovely warm crusty bread. I feel a bit concerned about John's comment. I've missed you also. I gathered you were going through something traumatic so my thoughts are with you too. Love Molly xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, Molly, sweet of you to be concerned, but please don't worry. Just life being difficult. This too shall pass..and I will laugh about this someday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely going to try this one.

    xx
    z

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for posting the recipe, which I have given to my beautiful wife, fortunately we have all of the ingredients.
    Other than chicken stock, instead we will use a vegatable boullion as an alternative. My envious eye was very much taken with your copper pot too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am making this soup tomorrow, it sounds heavenly. By the way, the photo of the bridge took my breath!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't grow Cauli's; too difficult. But when I see them at market or in the shops, I just can't resist. Cauli soup will be on the menu v soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! the Bridge photo is stunning! The soup looks yummy too.
    How are you girls doing? Jilda and I are rocking along here in Alabama.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm hoping everyone loves the soup as much as we do/did! Curious how it works with the veg buillon...let me know Heron!
    101...thanks for asking, the girls are doing well. Lindsay is back to the endocrinologist for follow upon her kidney, but I am thinking good thoughts that she will make a full recovery. Jess is sitting on the edge of something wonderful in Miami with her hubby...fingers and toes crossed! Life in our house is never dull!
    Jilda...there is just something about bridges isn't there? Rudy and I have a charcol rendition of a bridge (similar to the photo) that captures my heart every time I look at it.

    ReplyDelete

Go on...make my day...

Related Posts with Thumbnails